Thursday 14 November 2013

So Much to Do with So Little Time!

The rest of Sunday, I spent at Wakisa and at a plumbing store, trying to figure out how to instal an overflow pipe from one of the existing water tank to the new one - I spent 1 hour buying the fittings I needed. Finally that project was completed!

The reason for the overflow pipe was that I didn't want to waste any opportunity to harvest water. With so many girls on site, Wakisa uses a lot of water - cooking, bathing, washing clothes etc, and when the town water is off (and that's more often than you might think!) and it's not raining, the water runs out pretty quickly. When that happens, they have to buy in water via a tanker and it's pretty expensive!

At about 5 pm, I went back to the guesthouse for a shower - Miriam was coming over at 6 pm to go through some more of her budget figures in an effort to see if she could afford to move to new premises closer to work. We spent an hour on this in the coffee shop and then had a lovely meal in the restaurant.


Monday I was scheduled to go and visit another of the sponsored girls - Eunice who attends Lubanyi Secondary School. This required me to get a Coaster bus to Jinja and then a 14-seater Hiace van (taxi) to Buwenge. At that point, I caught up with Rev Paul, a local pastor who has taken Eunice under his wing - she's very fortunate that way. We jumped on his 100cc bike for the 10 km ride on a dirk road to the school. If you click on the map, you should see a larger scale version. kampala to Jinja is 80 km.





Once again, Eunice was very excited to be having visitors and it also turned out that Rev Paul's 7th child, Sarah, was the bursar at the school. We sat and chatted for about 30 minutes and I was amazed at how much more confident and self-assured Eunice was compared to the last time I saw her 3 years ago. It's amazing what a bit of support, love and encouragement does for these girls, and that's all because of their faithful sponsors.

The round trip took 10 hours and so I arrived home tired and very dusty at about 8.30 pm. But it was worth it!

Now only 2 days to go.


Most of Tuesday morning I spent writing a 3-page report on my visit to Wakisa Kisoro - like most people, Vivian thought it was a bit detailed - but what can I say, that's the way He made me. Mid-morning the computer guys came to finish the work on the network - a new router, a couple of new LAN cards and a new cable and the whole thing was working at max speed again, and wireless connections had also been added - all the ladies were thrilled!




Florence wanted to catch up one last time before I left, so I met her for lunch at her local campus of Uganda Christian Uni. She showed me around, explained about her scholarship, her course and lecturers before I had to rush into town to do a similar thing with Miriam. While I was in town, I mailed some photos off the Eunice, Rev Paul and Sarah, bought a new flash drive for Patience and made one last visit to the bank.





That evening, Francis and Pamela had invited me to their home for dinner, Francis picking me up at the guesthouse. They had moved home (they rent at the moment) 3 times in the last 3 years, one time because of theft and another time because of a greedy landlord. It's the done thing to bring something home for the lady of the house, so we dropped in to a local supermarket and got some sugar, bread, apples, juices etc. They have 2 boys, Joel and Jesse, both very cute, but also quite different. We had a lovely meal together and talked of the things of God - I thoroughly enjoyed myself.






And her's one of Pamela and the boys as well.







I'm not exactly sure what I did on my last day - I know I was busy and ran some computer cables from Vivian's office, across the hall and into the office where Patience and Suzan work. Late in the day, I also remember training the 3 ladies in the use of Google calendar and Google docs - better late than never! That evening, my last in Uganda, I went to dinner at Vivian's and joined June form the UK and a young lady from Canada who was staying in Vivian's self-contained flat. The meal was delicious (slow braised pork chops) with lots of trimmings. The conversation was easy as well as interesting! I had to leave at about 9 pm as I still needed to pack.

And my next post will be the last!

No comments:

Post a Comment